Junior Patron’s Guild

Jake FitzGerald, Arts Editor

Every year, dozens of Cistercian students participate in the Junior Patron’s Guild with Hockaday and St. Marks students. JPG organizes a selection of Fine Arts events across Dallas on Sunday afternoons throughout the year. This year, Fr. Gregory and the rest of JPG have selected a diverse program of five events for the Guild to attend.

Kicking off the season is Beethoven’s Emperor Concerto at the Meyerson Symphony Center, conducted by Maestro Jaap Van Zweden, the Music Director Designate of the Dallas Symphony Orchestra. In addition to the Concerto, where the piano will be played by Rudolf Buchbinder, the orchestra will perform Beethoven’s 3rd Symphony, “Eroica,” a piece originally dedicated to the Emperor Napoleon. Both bold and beautiful pieces should not be missed and will amaze both newcomers and seasoned listeners alike.

Later that month, JPG will return to the Meyerson to see the complete live score of Raiders of the Lost Ark. The John Williams score will be played while the movie is screened for the audience to view. It is a must see for both moviegoers and anyone who likes a good concert. Don’t miss tthem playing the legendary theme, “Raiders March.”

In November JPG will visit the Winspear Opera House to watch Verdi’s La Traviata. The opera, sung in Italian, is one of the best known love operas ever written. Don’t worry, there will be subtitles in English, so that following the story of Violetta, a Parisian courtesan, will be easy. With some of the most beautiful music in all of opera, La Traviata is a must see this season.

Riverdance at the AT&T Performing Arts Center is the only dance show included in JPG this year, but it is all that is needed. In March, as fourth quarter begins, Irish step dancing will be an exciting change of pace as everyone gears up for the end of the school year.

The final outing of the season is Cameron Mackintosh’s production of Les Miserables, produced by the Dallas Summer Musicals at Fair Park. Though the story is well known by audiences everywhere, this new edition straight from Broadway gives the live show an almost cinematic feel that, according to DSM,makes it come alive as never before. Les Miserables is the perfect way to  end the JPG 2017-2018 season.

The cost of JPG is $320, including bus fare to and from the shows and a meal served after each one. If you can not afford the program, you can still participate. Just check the box on the form that designates financial aid. Have your parents check their friday notes for details on how to sign up.