The Other Fall Sports

Photo by Dyess AFB

Photo by Dyess AFB

Chase Frutos, Writer

Summer has come to an end and school is slowly starting back up. With that in mind, every high schooler has four athletic options for the upcoming fall sports season. One can participate in competitive sports such as football and cross country, or, if you prefer non-competitive options, you may consider  P.E or off-season. Football is generally the most popular choice for athletes, with cross country being preferred for those who prefer to die of heat. However, off-season is an excellent option for athletes who prefer to work out in the weight room to physical activities in the sun. There is no better way to prep oneself for the upcoming sports season.

Though off-seasoners are not playing sports, each athlete is pushing himself either in the weight room or on the track, getting stronger, faster, and fitter. Off-season is also an excellent way to relieve stress from school and let off some steam or simply to clear one’s head. John Rehagen, a Cistercian sophomore who participated in off-season last spring, said the following: “After a long day of school it (off-season) is just a stress relief and allows me to clear my head before I go back to work. It’s like a mental break.”

For a person who prefers to kick back after school and enjoy a lighter physical activity, P.E. is the perfect option. P.E. consists of playing in the gym and having fun with your friends. It also provides the opportunity to increase free time throughout the week because instead of participating in practices until 5:00 pm each afternoon, P.E. ends at 3:30 pm allowing for an early start to your homework. This early dismissal allots those competing in club sports, like myself, the extra time needed to attend practices outside of school.