Freshman Initiation

Freshman+Initiation

The freshmen baptism was the transcendental moment in which the freshmen were initiated into the high school. Before the baptism was a pep rally at school which, for most of the freshmen, was a new and interesting experience. Not only did we get to see the cheerleaders, which I personally didn’t know we had, but we also got to see an epic skit. There was also a Black Hand event in which several people (including me) tried to blow up a watermelon with our minds, failed, and were shamed, then one of the seniors won by using his mind to mystically raise a sledge hammer and destroy the watermelon. The Black Hand also initiated several new members, a great honor afforded to very few.

A few hours after the pep rally, the Cistercian Hawks played the Colleyville Covenant Cougars, and Cistercian destroyed them 72 -13, so I stopped watching as soon as we were winning by 30 points. Once the game was finished, most of the high school took the party buses to the Rombs’ residence.

Once we were at the Rombs’ residence, we were able to socialize for a while, but at least half of the freshmen huddled around in small groups, complaining about having to be thrown in the pool. When the time for the Baptism came, I can remember the entire high school chanting my name and the names of a few of my peers as we were chucked into the pool. Once everyone had been thrown in, it was time for Fr. Anthony’s drenching, and may I say, that once you see a six foot tall man dressed in a habit flying into a pool, you won’t forget it. “These are the types of things that only Cistercians do,” commented a girl afterwards. Walker Homan (’22) mused, “Soaring through the air into the cold, chlorinated water was an enjoyable moment I will never forget.” Callum Woodhouse (’22) commented, “I knew that I was going to be last, seeing that I’m last for everything, (what with a W last name and all), but this wasn’t so bad because at least I had the full attention of everyone.” Father Anthony himself said, “I think it was really fun. I really enjoyed the experience, as did the rest of the boys in the class. I almost died! As soon as I hit the water, my  scapular flew up around my head and one of my contacts came out, so I really couldn’t see, let alone touch the bottom of the pool, and all the while I was covered in fabric. Meanwhile, my guys started running at me and I thought they were about to tackle me!”

The baptism was one of those moments that defines Cistercian life. Such things turn the little middle schooler into the capable high schooler.