“Eye-Opening” Experiences with Mr. Alcala

(Photo by Qinrui Ha via Fordham.edu)

Nick Donohoe & Nolan Pitts, Writer

Bazil, an intelligent young man from Uganda attending Gulu Highschool, excelled in many of his studies. His goal, with the help of a Fordham college student named TJ Alcala,was simply to graduate from High School. For most students, there is always that one subject that is challenging, usually because the individual is unable to grasp the truths that the class offers. For Bazil, this subject was math. But this obstacle was more than just an inability to see the truths that mathematics had to offer. No, in this case, he literally could not see the anything. He was blind.

“It was difficult to teach Bazil without using any symbols or graphs.” 

Mr. Alcala lacked official training to teach a child with such a disability. Nevertheless, he was able to uncover Bazil’s potential and ultimately help him graduate high school. Mr. Alcala traveled a long road himself before he discovered his own potential. As a Cistercian alumn, he experienced intense math classes at the hands of Mr. Greg Novinski.

Ironically , Mr. Alcala did not show any signs of pursuing a math career. His first glimmer of enthusiasm for the subject appeared in Mr. Novinski’s pre-calculus class.

Pre-calculus provided the wood for the fire. The spark came from Mr. Alcala’s freshman year of college Euclidean geometry class.

“Using the math skills I learned with tools like compasses and protractors and applying them to real life problems was what really got me interested in math.”

With his new found love for math, and recognition of a possible career in the field, Mr. Alcala stumbled upon a unique opportunity to go on a mission trip to Africa and experience the world outside of mathematics. 

“It was eye-opening to see how the people of Uganda were similar in many ways but also different in many ways. As for the math side, Bazil taught me that there is more than one way to teach and symbols are helpful tools, but they aren’t everything.”

Mr. T.J. Alcala, Photo Taken 2015
Via cistercian.org
Mr. T.J. Alcala, Photo Taken 2015

After he graduated from college in 2013, he taught in the Bronx. He eventually found his way back to Cistercian, the place he loved, cherished, and ultimately discovered his passion.

“Coming back to Cistercian is comforting as a teacher because the students and faculty lead me along and aren’t too quick to judge or give up on me as a teacher. It gives me space to improve every year.”

Being an alumni, he explored the mighty jungle of high school just as we do and is now following his passions, inside and outside the classroom.  He is a man who truly lets his curiosity lead him through life. 

“Be nice to everyone you meet and try as many different things as you can. You never know when one of those pastimes can turn into a career.”