Striding for Excellence

William Fielding Brown, Nest Editor

“English affects the way I see life. I’ve always had a strong connection to books.”

From the moment you walk into Adam Hauser’s office, you know he possesses a true love for literature. You can tell by the massive bookshelf full of classics, or the anthologies that sit in front of his desk, or the posters that grace his wall. But what really gives it away is the passionate manner in which Mr. Hauser speaks about his favorite subject. During English classes, he dives into deep discussion and seems to be overjoyed when a student tries to discover the fullest meaning of a text. But you would only be scratching the surface if you simply saw this man as an English teacher.

“The purpose of life is to reach sainthood, and that’s obtained by striving for excellence in all that we do.”

Mr. Hauser earned his Bachelor’s Degree of Arts at Kansas University and his Master’s of Education at Creighton University in Omaha, Nebraska. He has taught in two previous schools, a Catholic school on a Native American reservation and at Strake Jesuit in Houston. He currently teaches English to the Third and Seventh Forms and single-handedly runs the cross-country program.

Mr. Hauser’s main devotion is not to analyzing poetry and prose, but to God. His faith forms the foundation of his life and guides all that he does. More than anything, he stresses the importance of giving your best in everything that you do; not just because it helps you grow as an individual, but because it’s a way of glorifies God. This also affects how he approaches coaching.

“The goal of cross country isn’t to win every race, but to be the best you can be. It’s about sacrifice and hard work.”

For Mr. Hauser, both in cross country and in life, the journey matters more than the destination.The cross-country team has nearly doubled in size since Mr. Hauser started leading it last year; This can be attributed to the impact of his work ethic or the members of the team. He knows that there is a time to enjoy life and have fun, but he also knows that there is a time to work. Mr. Hauser understands that balance is a necessary part of life.

“In ten years I hope that I can still be here. The monks bring a sense of spirituality and balance to the school that’s unlike anywhere else I’ve taught,” he says.