Start of Something Great

The Hawks dive onto a fumble. (Photograph via Fr. Anthony Bigney)

Emmanuel Adesanya, Sports Editor

BEDFORD, TX – The Hawks took on Colleyville Covenant Christian in their season opener at H-E-B’s Pennington Field. Despite miscues on both sides, neither could take advantage as the first quarter ended scoreless. A long run by Covenant opened up the scoring, 7-0. From then on out, it was the Hawks’ game. Three touchdowns from senior receivers John Michael Kinsella, Danny Garda, and sophomore Sam Clay, plus a long drive from Covenant resulted in an 18-13 halftime score. The Hawks put the game away in the second half with another 3 touchdowns coming from Donovan Coronado (‘17), a second for Kinsella, and Harry Crutcher (‘19). While the offensive touted stars like Kinsella and junior quarterback Max Schieferdecker (31-51, 446 yards, 5 TDs), the defense’s stunning 5 takeaways- 3 FR, 1 INT, 1 onside kick recover, and constant quarterback pressure from senior defensive linemen Daniel Losson and Jack Mackenzie – propelled the Hawks to a 36-21 victory.

Come out and support the Hawks as they take on John Cooper in their first home game of the season. To see the hype video produced by the BLACK HAND, click here (resolution may need to be lowered to view video correctly). Kickoff at 7:00 pm. Go Hawks!