Cross Country Family Day

Photo Credit: Michael Byrne

Cross Country practicing on the trails. Photo by Michael Byrne, Cistercian Exodus 2015

Jake Berard, Nest Section Editor

This Halloween, before the ghouls and ghosts break free at sunset, the Cross Country team will be holding its 2nd annual Family Day on campus. Instituted last year at the beginning of Coach Hauser’s tenure as head of the Cross Country program, Family Day has become a notable event on  calendar. As the season winds down and the team prepares for upcoming SPC, everyone is looking forward to this relaxed day of running and community.

The day begins with a cool morning run around campus. The entire team along with parents, siblings, friends, and pets are welcome to join. Coach even promised to bring his infant son Nicholas come along in a stroller. The main purpose of Family Day is to allow parents to see a day in the life of their son as a Cistercian Cross Country athlete, in addition to building community within the program. After the run, Fr. Bernard celebrates  mass with everyone present, and the festivities conclude with a team breakfast afterwards.

Coach Hauser explained the benefits of Family Day by saying, “There is more to the sport than training, such as being healthy and living a balanced life.” These are undoubtedly some of the core values he wishes to reflect on the team and the Cistercian running community as a whole.