New Kid Perspectives

Kaosi Unini, Writer

We all know integrating into a new group for the first time can be a daunting task. Really daunting. Envision walking into a classroom on the first day of school, not a familiar face in sight. That thought alone is petrifying for some people. To make things worse, you have to familiarize yourself with these guys, unless you want to have an extremely lonely school year. How have some of this year’s new students dealt with the pressure of meeting new people, keeping up their grades, and participating in sports?

“It’s a big-step, but I can handle the load,” stated Ethan Barhydt (V). Ethan came from St. John’s Episcopal in nearby Dallas, Texas. Another student, Ben Sanford (VI), speaks of how he is adjusting to his new surroundings, saying that “Teachers are lot more invested in the students, especially the priests, who dedicate their entire lives to teaching students. There are also a lot more resources available to me. But mainly, since other kids around me are smart, it helps me keep focused in the classroom.” Ben moved from Ohio to Texas about a year ago, and he says that he has really enjoyed playing JV football for the first time this year.

Although Ohio might seem far, another new student has come from half-way around the world. Jonathan Kroll (VII) was born in Germany, and took the school by storm by performing “The Wobble” at the pep rally before the Fort Worth Country Day Varsity football game. Jonathan shared his thoughts on the school, saying that “It is a pretty big change from my last school. The whole vibe and feel at Cistercian is pretty different.”

Most of the new students at Cistercian seem to be adjusting just fine to their new environment, though it may be tough!