2016 Cistercian Football: A Year in Review

Emmanuel Adesanya, Sports Editor

Despite falling in the SPC 3A Championship game to a talented Fort Worth Country Day team, the 2016-17 Hawks broke many records, but more importantly set a high standard for those following in their footsteps. The Hawks finish the season with 8 wins and 3 losses, the best in school history since the 2005-2006 championship season. Junior quarterback Max Schieferdecker threw for 2,630 yards, the second most in school history. He did so by spreading the wealth among a talented group of receivers; six of them had 275+ yards. Next season, Schieferdecker plans on taking down Matthew Merrick’s (’15) all time passing yards record. Sophomore running back Harry Crutcher also had a breakout season, accumulating 1,431 all purpose yards and 16 touchdowns. Defensively, the group led by Coach Andre Bruce racked up 29 sacks, 18 takeaways, and gave up only 18 points per game. Defensive end Jack Mackenzie (’17) impressively had 10 sacks for the season. All Conference honors went to Losson, Mackenzie, Crutcher, senior receiver/defensive back Danny Garda, and receiver/strong safety Mike Garnett (’18). Sixteen seniors leave the program in a better shape than found, with a high standard for those following in their footsteps. The season, although filled with ups and downs provided many great memories for not just the players, but all members of the Cistercian community. “My favorite game was the Greenhill one. We went crazy in the stands. That night we had the better team and better fans” fan Cole Gimenez said. We are blessed to already be in a such a warm and cohesive community, and football, this season more than others has brought together boys of all forms, alumni, parents, teachers, and friends of Cistercian alike.