How to Help Your Grades

Photo Credit: Steven S.

Roman Soriano, Writer

The end of the year is one of the most stressful times for students. At the start of the 3rd Quarter, you get a reality check, but after Spring Break, you see your grades and realize that if you don’t get your C’s and D’s up to A’s and B’s, you have a messy situation on your hands. So here are some tips on how to help your grades:

1. Study —This is the most important rule. If you do not study, you have no chance of making an A on your E-Lab test. Some people say you must look at the material to remember it. But it’s how you look at it. If you skim through it and say, “I’m done,” and go back to playing Fortnite (I’m looking at you, Coach Taylor) or if you don’t remember the quadratic formula but you do remember where to find a chug jug, then you have a studying problem. You have to look at the material for a solid 30-45 minutes, then take a 15-minute break to read. After that, maybe you can play a little bit of Fortnite.

2. Homework—Do it. No excuses.  You can’t just say “I didn’t have time” or “I have to go to bed at 8:30.” That will not work for you. Most teachers pull questions right out of the homework. You might also need to do some more extra work to be ready for the finals. Say you don’t know how to find the circumference of a circle. Try learning the definition and practicing multiple times, and you should then be able to figure it out.

3. Teachers—Teachers are the key to success. If your grades are low, then talk with your teacher about that class. If you can find a time before or after school to talk with them, go over material like the tests and quizzes, you will find that they really do care about your success. Also, ask questions in class, because if you don’t understand it, the teacher is certified to know it.

4. Don’t forget to pray